By Georgia L. Irby
A better half to technology, know-how, and drugs in historical Greece and Rome brings a clean standpoint to the learn of those disciplines within the old international, with 60 chapters studying those issues from various severe and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean point of view to the research of technological know-how, expertise, and medication within the historical global, with 60 chapters analyzing those subject matters from various severe and technical perspectives
- Begins insurance in six hundred BCE and contains sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those rules into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, options, and activities in historical technological know-how, expertise, and drugs in the ancient, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and normal sciences; the second one specializes in cultural purposes and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar special topics books
Army medication: From precedent days to the twenty first Century КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Издательство: ABC-CLIOАвтор(ы): Jack E. McCallumЯзык: EnglishГод издания: 2008Количество страниц: 408ISBN: 978-1-85109-693-0Формат: pdf (e-book)Размер: 34. 6 mb RapidIfolder fifty one
Neuroscience is among the clinical fields the place growth within the twentieth century has been outstanding. With the arriving of the recent millennium, it truly is acceptable to examine a few of the advances and the neurologists who helped to supply them. the unique contributions during this quantity replicate the historical past opposed to which the swift advances have taken position some time past a hundred years.
This ebook describes seven components within the box of biotechnology operations as practiced via biopharmaceutical corporations and nonprofit associations. Revisions concentration upon alterations that experience happened in numerous components during the last six years, with emphasis on regulatory, biomanufacturing, scientific and technical details, besides methods and guidlines that experience extra to the self-discipline.
- Proton Therapy and Radiosurgery
- Early Modern Medicine and Natural Philosophy (History, Philosophy and Theory of the Life Sciences)
- A Cursing Brain? The Histories of Tourette Syndrome
- Florence Nightingale At First Hand: Vision, Power, Legacy
- Confronting the Climate: British Airs and the Making of Environmental Medicine, 1st Edition
Extra resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
TEGP 121) Whether Empedocles envisaged any teleology on this process is again controversial. Some say yes, others say that the descriptions of the eye on which this view rests are simply descriptions of the structure and function of the eye without teleology. Studies of Empedocles are currently in a state of flux, with the relatively recent discovery of new material in the Strasbourg papyrus and radical reassessments of the relationship between science and religion in Empedocles in light of recent advances in historiography.
The spaces between cosmoi are not equal, in places there are more and in others less, some are growing, some are in their prime, some declining, some are coming to be and others failing. They are destroyed by falling into each other. There are cosmoi bereft of animals and vegetation and all moisture. In our cosmos the earth was generated prior to the stars, and the moon is the lowest, followed by the sun and then the stars. A cosmos is at its height until it can no longer accrete external material.
See West 1971, 1–77, 206–208; KRS 47–49; Aristotle Metaphysics 1091b; Penwill 1974; West 1963, 154–156; West 1971; Vernant 1965. Chapter 2 Matter Daniel W. Graham 1. Introduction Matter is one of the basic concepts of modern science. It played a large role in ancient philosophical theories in a time when philosophy and science were still connected. Aristotle made the most important contributions to the understanding of matter, but the concept had a history both before and after him. By seeing what problems the ancient concept of matter solved, we can appreciate the origins of the theory of matter.