By John Daintith
This best-selling dictionary comprises over 9,000 entries on all facets of technology and gives entire insurance of biology (including human biology), chemistry, physics, the earth sciences, and astronomy. Appendices conceal the periodic desk, geological time scale, and animal and plant class. New positive aspects comprise digital thumb tags for simple reference, improved parts together with astronomy and earth technological know-how and extra positive factors on key issues similar to the sun method and Genetically converted Organisms. additionally featured are brief biographies of major scientists and chronologies of particular matters, together with plastics, electronics and phone biology. either concise and wide-ranging, this dictionary is a perfect convenient reference paintings and nice creation for college kids and non-scientists alike.
Read Online or Download A Dictionary of Science, Fifth Edition, 5th Edition PDF
Similar social work books
Scandals don't simply occur. they're made. they're developed out of such daily tragedies because the small carelessnesses and institutional brutality of the lengthy remain health center, the abuse of youngsters or the violent deaths of blameless bystanders. This ebook, by means of analyzing the landmark scandals of the post-war interval, together with more moderen ones, akin to the Victoria Climbie Inquiry, finds how scandals are generated, to what reasons they're used and whose pursuits they're made to serve.
The paintings of writing up a accomplished study undertaking in a layout compatible for submission to a social paintings magazine is a capability break free one's talents as a study methodologist. it's also a capability that, regardless of its significance, is usually missed by means of study classes and senior-level mentors. this easy pocket advisor to getting ready examine Articles steps into the void as an insider's consultant to getting released.
Tief greifende soziale Wandlungsprozesse und veränderte Selbstbeschreibungen moderner Gesellschaften – verbunden mit Forderungen nach und Versprechungen von mehr Bildung und lebenslangem Lernen – stellen ein umfangreiches Bündel an Herausforderungen für Kulturelle Bildung und für Soziale Arbeit dar. Der Band greift aktuelle gesellschaftliche und fachwissenschaftliche Entwicklungen und Fragen in diesem Zusammenhang auf, z.
Knowing Parricide is the main entire e-book on hand approximately juvenile and grownup little kids who kill their mom and dad. Dr. Heide strikes a ways at the back of the statistical correlates of parricide by way of synthesizing the pro literature on parricide mostly, matricide, patricide, double parricides, and familicides.
- Working Ethically in Child Protection
- Disability Rights and Wrongs Revisited
- Research Skills for Social Work (Transforming Social Work Practice Series)
- History of Social Work in Europe (1900–1960): Female Pioneers and their Influence on the Development of International Social Organizations
- "Modernisierungen" methodischen Handelns in der Sozialen Arbeit (German Edition)
Additional info for A Dictionary of Science, Fifth Edition, 5th Edition
Drugs that promote such metabolic activity are described as anabolic (see anabolic steroid). See metabolism. Compare catabolism. anaerobe See anaerobic respiration. anaerobic respiration A type of *respiration in which foodstuffs (usually carbohydrates) are partially oxidized, with the release of chemical energy, in a process not involving atmospheric oxygen. Since the substrate is never completely oxidized the energy yield of this type of respiration is lower than that of *aerobic respiration.
52. The compound occurs naturally as the mineral gibbsite (monoclinic). In the laboratory it can be prepared by precipitation from solutions of aluminium salts. Such solutions contain the hexaquoaluminium(III) ion with six water molecules coordinated, [Al(H2O)6]3+. In neutral solution this ionizes: [Al(H2O)6]3+ ˆ H+ + [Al(H2O)5OH]2+ The presence of a weak base such as S2– or CO32– (by bubbling hydrogen sulphide or carbon dioxide through the solution) causes further ionization with precipitation of aluminium hydroxide [Al(H2O)6]3+(aq) → Al(H2O)3(OH)3(s) + 3H+(aq) The substance contains coordinated water molecules and is more correctly termed hydrated aluminium hydroxide.
Alveolus 1. The tiny air sac in the *lung of mammals and reptiles at the end of each *bronchiole. It is lined by a delicate moist membrane, has many blood capillaries, and is the site of exchange of respiratory gases (carbon dioxide and oxygen). 2. The socket in the jawbone in which a tooth is rooted by means of the *periodontal membrane. Alzheimer’s disease A neurological disease characterized by progressive loss of intellectual ability. The disease, which is named after German physician Alois Alzheimer (1864–1915), is associated with general shrinkage of the brain tissue – with deposits of β-amyloid peptide (a glycoprotein) and abnormal Ülaments of tau protein associated with *microtubules – and changes in the neurotransmitter systems within the brain that include a loss in the activity of *cholinergic neurons.